WHAT DOES A TRAFFIC CONTROL SPECIALIST/FLAGGER DO?
- Safely control the movement of vehicular traffic through work zones using a Stop/Slow paddle.
- Protect the lives of motorists, pedestrians, customers, co-workers and themselves in work zones.
- Maintain a consistent and unrelenting focus on safety throughout all job functions.
- Warn workers when approaching vehicle fails to heed signals to prevent accident and injury to workers.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip vehicle/equipment inspections.
- Position temporary work zones using advance warning signs, traffic cones, barrels and other equipment.
- Load and unload AWP company truck with equipment.
- Drive the AWP company truck to and from the work sites.
- Keep equipment and AWP company trucks well organized and in working order.
- Be professional and courteous treating customers, including agitated drivers, as if each is a member of our family.
- Provide on-time arrival and a safe work zone.
- Communicate effectively (verbal, listening, written) and work with difficult people under high stress situations.
- Maintain constant communication with work crew and co-workers using 2 way radios or other means of communication.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including hard hat, eye protection, reflective vest, gloves and steel-toed boots.
- High level of stamina to drive constant physical effort, including standing on cement and various surfaces for extended periods of time, possibly as much as 8-12 hours per day.
- Sitting is NOT permitted in active work zones.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and environments with exposure to dust, dirt, and loud noises.